Powered By Blogger

Sunday 25 September 2011

New one to me - Neroche Castle and forest

This time last week I had never heard of Neroche. Then on Monday I was chatting to some friends in work and one of them suggested I might go there for letter 'N'.  Over the course of the week I chatted to more people who had been there and had loved it. I checked it out online and liked what I saw, so, I decided that 'N' would be for Neroche.

This is probably my shortest drive so far and one I will definately repeat, in all seasons of the year. Its just 11 minutes from my home.  Its sometimes good to explore what's on your doorstep and this was no exception!

Neroche Castle is the site of a Norman Motte and Baily Castle with some wonderful views overlooking Central Somerset, the Vale of Taunton, Somerset Levels and Quantock Hills.  On a clear day you can even see the Mendips and Glastonbury Tor.  There are some fantastic forest trails that are well sign posted and many walks are available to print off online if you want to know more about what you are seeing.






Also, available, from several places, including the Tourist Info office in Taunton, are recorded guides which you take around the walk with you and they point out things of interest. I only discovered that they existed last night and it was a bit late as the Tourist Info office was closed today. If you are in the area and want to do it, they take card details etc as a deposit and you need photo ID.

The picture above was taken near the car park looking out to that view I mentioned earlier!

I decided to take the shorter of the marked paths - a circular 1.5 mile walk from the car park, returning to the car park.

The forest was absolutely stunning this afternoon.  It was gloriously sunny, but the sun followed a morning of heavy rain, so the paths were a little slippery.  Near the beginning there is a very, very steep slope and I descended it rather quicker than I had planned in the slippery, slimy, melted chocolate-like mud! I stayed on two feet though!

So, now to show you a few photos of this lovely woodland walk : -)





I love the shapes and light of this one!

You can see what a nice afternoon it was!











A helpful and educational guide to the site, which is funded partly by the lottery fund.

The meaning of Neroche?
The word Neroche is thought to be derived from the old English 'Nierra' and and 'Rechich' or 'Rachich' and means 'Camp where hunting dogs were kept'!




Tree Hugger!!















I love walking in the colourful, crisp, autumn leaves!





Attractive Autumn colours



















Afternoon sun, shining into the forest, lightening the path

















Funny, forest funghi!

















Standing tall!













All the walks were well marked and signposted















More forest loveliness!




















Sunny paths







Still waters











The path led back to this bench, near the car park.  The bench had fantastic views, including the view over Somerset I showed near the beginning.










Me, sitting on that bench at the end of the walk, looking at the magnificent view (and the camera!)
















Here is another look at that view for miles around











The final photo is forest fruits and farm view taken from the car park. There are blackberries on the branch and cows in the field, but they did not show up too well! 








The drive there and back was very pleasant too.  For those who live in or know the area and want to visit, you just have to drive along South Road, Shorditch Road, through Corfe, to the top of the hill where there is a cross roads. Turn left there along the Chard road and after 3 miles the entrance to Neroche is on your left.
If you'd like to read more about this gorgeous place this is a good place to start 
Also, if you are in to Geo - Caching, which I am not because I do not have GPS, there is a geo-caching site here!  Somewhere, underneath one of those thousands of trees, lies a tupperware box to be found!  Maybe I will give geo-caching a go sometime when I get a smart phone or something with GPS on!
See you soon from somewhere beginning with 'O'.  Oh! Where to go!!  I think I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment