Powered By Blogger

Sunday 18 September 2011

M and Ms!

Its hard to believe that the last time I went out on my A to Z tour of the South West was in June! Time has flown by this summer. Sunday afternoons have been taken up with holidays, particularly a fantastic holiday in Italy by Lake Maggiore - (you can see my pictures on my blog www.lagomaggiore2011.blogspot.com), other trips, meals with friends and work.

I had planned to meet up with friends who live in the area of the 'M' I originally chose - Monkey World, near Wareham in Dorset, but that did not materialise due to their commitments and mine.  Today, I needed to visit an 'M' fairly close to home.  I toyed with the idea of going to Montacute House, Mulchenly Abbey, Minehead and many others, but I really fancied a trip to Lyme Regis, so, I cheated a bit! I found an 'M', infact an M and more Ms in Lyme - Monmouth Beach and Marine Museum!

The weather today has been very showery, but after a 45 minute drive through some very heavy rain showers I arrived in Lyme to be welcomed by glorious sunshine.
I parked in the Charmouth Road car park and walked down the hill into the town and by the time I'd reached the sea the heavens had opened and I got a seaside soaking!

I had planned to have a fish and chip lunch in Lyme as it is difficult to spend any amount of time in Lyme (especially when you have had no lunch!) without being succumbing to the smell of fish and chips, that together with the seaweed smell fills the air!
I needed to dry off and dashed in to the nearest beach side cafe' - a little place called Jane's Cafe'. I received very prompt and friendly service and was soon digging in to mouth watering fish, chips, mushy peas, bread and butter and a warming pot of tea!





Here is a picture of Jane's Cafe where I had my lunch.












Having filled up and dryed off I headed to my first M - Monmouth Beach.
This beach is so named because the Duke of Monmouth landed here in 1685 in an attempt to wrest the crown from King James II.
Monmouth beach extends over a kilometre southwest from the Cobb wall. Bordering this beach are holiday chalets, beach huts, the bowling green and car parks.
This is a picture of Monmouth Beach. You can see the weather was not too great at the time, so I do not have many photos of the beach!




Here is a picture of me on the beach! Self portrait in the wind and rain! Not the most flattering, but just a photo to say I was there!






After my visit to Monmouth beach the weather brightened up and I took a stroll along the Cobb towards the Marine Aquarium.

 The roofed building towards the right of this picture (which is towards the end of the cobb) is the Marine Aquarium



 Here it is a bit closer up!

And a bit closer!  The sky is getting bluer!


And here we are!

The entrance fee was a little pricey at £5 to view two rooms of fish, but the experience was delightful and if I had wanted, could have been very hands on!

I printed off the discount voucher from their website before going, so I got 20% off - so £4 entry.  The voucher allows 20% off for up to 6 people, so its worth printing it off if you intend visiting.

There are lots of fish which are local to the area to view and after a period of time they are released back in to the sea and others are gathered and displayed.



 I mentioned that the visit could have been very hands on if I had wanted it to be.  At the entrance I was offered food for the mullet and I could have had the opportunity to feed them by hand, but I opted not to! They are very tame, but all the same!! I don't do being nibbled by fish - be it toes in a tank or mullet mouths!  There was also opportunity to hold a starfish! Again, I opted out of this!  I did not get any pictures inside the aquarium, but there are some great ones on the website, aswell as the voucher! Have a look! You can also see the giant 80 year old lobster and the mullet being fed on the videos on the site:
Marine aquarium fishy pics and voucher 







Many of my local friends will be familiar with Lyme but many friends and family who do not live in the area have not seen it before, so I thought that as well as showing pictures of Monmouth Beach and Marine Aquarium - the M and M places I visited, I would take this opportunity to show a few pictures of Lyme too.  The weather brightened up and I was able to have a lovely walk around. Here are a few photos from my walk:




These beach huts (and many more) are available to hire from the local council. Rates vary depending on which month and which day you want to hire them.


Young seagull looking out to sea.




Most of the street lights in Lyme are like these - they remind me of tubas or some other brass instrument! 




Its Art week in Lyme this week. There was bunting everywhere, including here in the main high street, looking down to sea.  Many events are being held and people of all ages are being encouraged to take creative,arty workshops in the town, ranging from painting hairbrushes to puppet making for children and photography and oil painting for adults.

Some blue sky!
Walking down the famous Cobb towards the sea.


Mackerel fishing trip arriving back.  I love the colours in this one.


The very end of the Cobb.



Another view of Monmouth beach, this time from the Cobb.


Another self portrait, with the Cobb in the background.






One day I would like to go on one of these Mackerel fishing trips - I love mackerel!

And so, I am now half way through the alphabet! I have been to some fantastic places so far and am looking forward to the next 13 trips to see some even more fantastic places!  I look forward to sharing them with you.

Until then I shall say goodbye from the place of  Monmouth Beach, Marine Aquarium, mullet, mackerel, mouthwatering fish'n'chips and mushy peas! See you soon from somewhere beginning with N!


No comments:

Post a Comment