Powered By Blogger

Sunday 22 May 2011

J today!

I had planned to visit Jacobstowe in Devon for the letter J and thought that due to time constraints today I would go there next week.  However, I arrived home from my friends twins dedication (similar to a Christening, but no water!) in glorious sunshine with a gusty breeze and thought that it would be a perfect day for a trip to a beach.  I have come to adore the Jurassic coast in Dorset since living here and knew that there was no town beginning with J there, but I really wanted to go on this perfect day for a visit there, so I searched on the net for somewhere I could go perhaps that began with the word Jurassic, for J!  Without having to look too hard I found it in a place called West Bay - JURASSIC PIER! I had to go and hastily looked up a postcode for a car park there, programmed the satnav and set off! It was well gone 2.30pm when I left and I did not want to waste time getting there!





It was a very spur of the moment  decision! So much a spur of the moment decision that I had very little petrol in the car.  If I know that I am doing a trip I usually fill up in advance.  I knew when I started though that I had enough to at least get me to the A303 services.  Well, it did get me to the A303 services, but it had to get me much further too (thankfully it did!) I could not believe it when I pulled in to the A303 services and found they had absolutely no fuel!  I decided, if necessary to divert via Axminster, as I know where a petrol station is there.  Thankfully there was no need, as a few minutes after I turned off onto the A35 there was a petrol station which had plenty of petrol which made me and my car (which seemed so light it was getting buffeted around by the wind), very happy!  I arrived in West Bay to find a huge amount of parking and plenty left, even with a town full of tourists at 3.30pm.

So, where is Jurassic Pier exactly?  Its a mile from Bridport, a market town in Dorset.  Here's a little map picture I took:






















So, whats the history of the Jurassic pier?
Here's a little snippet from the West Bay website:

Over the centuries West Bay has been battered by the elements, baring the scars of numerous storm battles. A three year scheme to rebuild the coastal defences and harbour piers at a cost of over £17 million was completed in the winter of 2004 / 2005. The Duke of York formally opened the completed scheme on Tuesday, 8th March 2005.

The Jurassic Pier

The new West Pier was named 'The Jurassic Pier' and opened to the public on Friday, 17th December 2004. The old pier was eventually demolished and a new pier constructed following years of sea erosion and storm destruction. A sea defence project costing £18 million has produced a magnificent new West Pier for West Bay. There is wheelchair/pushchair access and seating along most of its length. At 240 metres long, recessed lighting is included for evening and night visitors plus blue uplighting at all of the ladder accesses for boats in the outer harbour / marina. .


Now for some pictures I took on my visit today:
                                                                                 
 This image was taken from up very high (I'll show you where later) and it makes the pier look quite short.















Me (in the wind!) with the pier in the background



                                                                                                 

The entrance to the pier, looking out to sea.

A view from the pier










 



 A view from the pier
















And now for some views of West Bay, the village that hosts the Jurassic Pier








 It was a fish and chip lovers paradise! These were just several of the many fish and chip shops there!
  Above is a fantastic children's play area, right next to the car park where I parked.



I saw the cliff in the background and just HAD to climb it! Had a coffee first though (only a pound!) from the lovely beach cafe, just near where I am sitting!  Sun was in my eyes! Should have been wearing the sunglasses on my face, not my head!                                                                                             


Looking up!

Looking down from the top!  I could see my car in the car park in the distance




                                                                                                              Looking down in the other direction





Some jurassic cliff close ups!
 At the foot of the cliff - this portion of it made me think of two giant lions feet - do you see the paws?













                                                                                                                                 Interested in finding out more about the jurassic coast and its amazing, long history?  Click HERE! 

 Soon it was time to make tracks and head home! Sadly I departed too late to get a nice drink at this Tea Station near the car park!   See you next time from somewhere beginning with K!


No comments:

Post a Comment