Powered By Blogger

Sunday 23 January 2011

The discovery of a Beer I actually like!

I am not a fan of Beer when it comes to drinking. I just don't enjoy the flavour, but today I discovered a Beer that I actually like, its not a liquid refreshment, but a place of refreshment! Its a village called Beer! 
Its on the Jurassic coast in East Devon, just 50 minutes drive from my home town.
I remember visiting Beer very briefly with friends once before and since then have wanted to return to spend longer there.

I read bits and pieces on the net about it, including some great reviews of the South West Coast Path walk between there and Branscombe Mouth, a couple of miles away.

When I lived in North Devon I had the South West Coast path on my doorstep and loved walking along it through the Valley of Rocks, following it to Lynmouth in one direction or out to Hunters Inn in the other direction. On one occasion, just for fun, I joined a group of friends and we did an all night walk along it from Woolacombe back to our home (Lee Abbey) near Lynton! Good times!

So, as a fan of the South West Coast Path, I could not resist putting my walking shoes on and heading out for a walk along the path from Beer to Branscombe.  I had read that there were some steep climbs along it and that it was breathtaking.   There certainly was one steep climb in particular and the walk was breath taking in more ways than one in that part!

I had to take this walk at a faster pace than I might normally have done as I did not have enough change for more than an hour and a half in the car park in Beer. I was particularly keen to return in time to the car as, on my arrival I had seen a ticket inspector in the car park, so I knew he was out and about!
I headed up the cliff road out of Beer to join the coast path and followed it for nearly 2 miles towards Branscombe Mouth. As you will see from the photos it was absolutely stunning. It was a perfect day for a walk, sunny and breezy and I met some nice people along the way who chatted in their breathlessness to me!
Here are some photos of the walk. They can describe it better than I can!
Looking down back to Beer from the coast path

Wow!

Another nice cliffy feature along the way!

These steps were the most breath-taking part of the walk - literally!  I didn't count them, but they went almost all the way to the sea at Branscombe Mouth, which you can see at the top of this picture.  Lovely going down...but coming up again...OMG!
Lovely beach cafe at Branscombe Mouth - very welcome refreshment before the climb back over to Beer!

 On my arrival back in Beer, I decided to head straight for the car as my time was up in the car park! There was no sign of the ticket man though so I decided to have my picnic lunch in the car. Never has a Marmite sandwich tasted SO good!
This seagull had its eye on it alot of the time! I was so hot after the walk that I had the window of my car open, so glad it didn't make a grab for it!

If you want to know more about this Beer, check out this website:Beer facts!  It explains how the name originated and lots more fascinating facts about this lovely fishing village.
Had I had more cash with me I may have been tempted to buy some of the delicious fresh fish being sold on the beach! Never mind, there's salmon in the freezer! That's not a bad substitute for my dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment